In Paris, it matters how you dress. It just does. At the beginning of his book David Lebovitz describes changing into a button down shirt + crisp pants to take out the trash. Looking your best is part of the city's culture. I put on a full face of make-up everytime I leave the apartment, even if I'm only going to the grocery store. Dressing like a slob appears disrespectful. Show (and wear) the respect and you'll receive respect back.
Luckily the women of Paris are the masters of casual chic. I honestly don't know how they do it. No matter what they're wearing, they look effortlessly amazing with extra emphasis on the effortlessly. I certainly am no expert but here are a few things I've picked for you to pack to fit right in as you walk along the Seine.
2. J.Crew Painter Tee with Madwell Wavelength Skirt: you know how I love a tee paired with a skirt. Stripes make me feel oh so French and I love the zipper details on this one (in more colors as well.)
3. Club Monaco Liora Faux Leather Top with J.Crew Stretch Toothpick Jeans: as you can see neutrals rule here, so finding unique textures to add some interest is key. A pair of skinny jeans is an absolute must.
What girl isn't shoe obsessed? I spent a solid day shoe shopping in Paris and wandering around the Left Bank I've never seen so many shoe stores in my life. Here's the perfect way to not appear like a tourist - stylish yet incredibly comfy shoes.
1. Repetto Ballerina Flats: because of the cobblestone streets, flats are the smart way to go. These Repetto's come in a rainbow of colors. One for every day of the week?
2. DKNY Lucia High Heels: go from day to night in a chic pair of heels. The peep toes are right on trend.
3. Banana Republic Afton Ankle Boots: I'm obsessed with these ankle boots. They're easy to pair with all of the outfits above and will be great when the weather starts to get a cooler.
One more thing to pack in your bag is a matte red lipstick. Parisian girls wear minimal make-up but will add that perfect punch with dark lashes and red lips. My longtime favorite is MAC Ruby Woo. And now you're ready to rock the casual chic!