Happy National Donut Day! I hope that everyone is celebrating this glorious day by eating a donut! I am actually in Manila in The Philippines right now and I did spot a couple donut-ish delights on my voyage out today but in my jet lagged zombie-like state I don't have much of an appetite. Going to celebrate extra hard another day.
I started the hashtag #kplovesdonuts on Instagram a couple years ago and it's probably one of my favorites that I use - you can see them all here. So many delicious donuts in life. In honor of the holiday, I thought it would be fun to highlight five of my favorite donuts (but it's so hard to narrow down!)
1. Bacon Maple Bar at VooDoo Doughnut in Portland, OR - can't beat this classic and although I've had some other good bacon donuts (like the amazing warm ones that Michelle from Paper Tales took me to at Great Maple in San Diego) this is still the original in my mind.
2. Glazed donuts stuffed with peaches at Donut Man in Glendora, CA - my friend Jenny + her friends drove me out here one night from LA and I still dream about this donut. Warm glazed donuts stuffed with fresh peaches, it was heaven on earth. My snapshot of this one is here.
3. The mini donuts on the side of the pot de creme at Michael's Genuine in Miami, FL - these donuts are the most meaningful to me and I have such good memories now of sharing this dessert with multiple friends. Who wouldn't love a creamy, fruity pot de creme with a hot donut sprinkled with sugar dipped right in. I've documented these donuts multiple times but my favorite was when we were treated to an extra batch my a friend at MG's who knows my love.
4. The Pig Donut in Honolulu, HI - I randomly found this guy among other animal donuts when I was in Hawaii in April (I think they're originally a Japanese treat) and even though it's definitely not up there in taste, it was by far the cutest donut I've ever come across. How could you not love it?
5. Dough in New York City, NY - far and away my favorite, and most Instagrammed, donuts are from Dough. They're big, yeasty, and I think have the best flavors. Compared to their rival Doughnut Plant, I think these win hands down. Doughnut Plant can be a little dry but Dough is alway delicious. You can find them now at places throughout NYC but there's now a cute little Dough bakery down on 19th Street. My favorite flavor is hibiscus, but I have known to go crazy for a dulce de leche.
Be sure to share where I can find your favorite donuts in the comments. Happy weekend everyone!